Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The third river

I began this blog assuming that I'd only want to write about the Rideau River, near our house, but that didn't last long; I then chose to add some description of the Ottawa River too. Now I'm going to compromise my intentions further by adding the mention of the third river of interest to me and other Ottawa citizens, the Gatineau, which flows into the Ottawa opposite Rockcliffe Park (affording one of the best views in town) at Pointe Gatineau, under the Lady Aberdeen Bridge. For comparison, the Gatineau is 386 km, the Ottawa River 1271 km, the Rideau River 146 km in length. Impressive rivers, all three.

Yesterday four of us drove up the Gatineau valley to Wakefield, a favourite destination, lunching at Chamberlin's Lookout (above the General Store) which boasts a panoramic view of the Gatineau River and the village. I always get a sense of well-being when I'm there, looking at this view.

No comments:

Post a Comment