Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Birds of passage

(photo from the Ottawa Citizen)
We saw flocks of snow buntings near the river at Rockcliffe Airport last weekend, presumably en route to somewhere else, but in which direction, I wouldn't know. We have seen them before at this time of year. Pretty little things, and if they are heading north, is that an indication that spring is coming soon? Not necessarily, as I have just learned that they can endure temperatures of minus 50ºC.

Migratory birds follow rivers on their journeys, and the ones I'm looking forward to seeing (and hearing overhead) are the geese. Their honking, in another few weeks' time, really will announce the return of milder weather to our part of the world.

As I write this, the recorded temperature at Ottawa airport is -15º ("feels like -26º" in the wind) which must be why I needed to put my hood up when I went out of doors.

No comments:

Post a Comment