Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Seniors and turtle eggs

In my other blog I made a link to The Rockcliffe, a recently opened retirement residence on the Rideau. Out of curiosity I browsed around their website when I'd found it and came across this description of the grounds, on their "news" page:
The Rockcliffe's most interesting creature neighbours were the very large turtles which crawled up the riverbank to lay eggs in our gardens. We decided to protect the nests as best we could from marauders. The immense Linden trees in the patio garden came into full leaf making lovely shady spaces where we could sit and listen to the birds. The outdoor bar was opened and we were able to enjoy dining on the patio.
This retirement residence is situated on Porter Island.

I see from the Library and Archives Canada website that Porter Island used to be home to the Good Shepherd Convent, also a fairly tall building for its day.

No comments:

Post a Comment