Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The Hog's Back

On Monday I was in a car that took me all the way along Colonel By Drive; at the southern end of that ride I went past the Hog's Back Falls, at the point where the Rideau Canal splits from the Rideau River, and caught a glimpse of them from the passenger seat. I always want to stop to take a closer look at these falls; they're less well known by tourists than are the Rideau Falls, some 10km downstream, but much loved by the citizens of Ottawa. Today, having been at a house within walking distance of the Hog's Back I made a special detour to visit them instead of jumping straight on the bus back to town.

The Hog's Back Park near the Falls is being "rehabilitated; the parking area has been closed for the last few months and the buildings fenced off. The construction work was started at the end of last summer and has been abandoned for the winter, but all I had to do on foot was follow the trail of footprints, skirting the fences to the lookout points where I managed to take some photos:



No comments:

Post a Comment